Thursday, 15 August 2013

Live Local Greens

It was with great anticipation that I went to collect my first ever Local Greens bag. I couldn't wait to see what amazing veg I would be getting that week, and all organic and locally sourced.

Local Greens is a volunteer-run, not-for-profit organisation that provides a weekly veg bag scheme in Brixton, Camberwell, Herne Hill and Dulwich. All the veg is locally grown, from organic or spray free farms. I was excited to start using them as I have wanted to go organic for a while for health and environmental reasons, and it feels good to be supporting a local organisation.

Well, the first bag was such a treat! It definitely was a great introduction to the world of veg bags!



We got:
Red Kale
Summer Squash (if anyone knows the official name for this I would love to know! Sort of looks like a UFO...)
Broad beans
Little gem lettuce
Cauliflower
Aubergine
Carrots
Onions

Now, I'm a very keen cook and like to think I am quite adventurous when coming up with recipes, but I have to say it was a little bit daunting to be faced with all this wonderful, but somewhat unusual, veg and knowing what to do with it all. With that in mind, I shall endeavour to bring you my trials and tribulations of cooking with a Local Greens veg bag, hopefully with some tasty recipes along the way!

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I've just signed back up with the River Ford veg box scheme (http://www.riverford.co.uk/) and I'm really looking forward to trying some new veggie recipes out - I'll be keeping an eye on your blog for some great ideas!

    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracey- glad you're enjoying the recipes! I swear by my veg box now, you really do get to experiment and try new veggies!

    ReplyDelete