Wednesday, 18 September 2013

A note on dressings...

Just a quick post as I wait for my latest creation to cook in the oven (a new use for pattypan squash-stay tuned!).

I mentioned previously that I would talk about dressings, as I think they are a brilliant way to add some magic to a simple salad. I have a few in my toolbox that I pull out if I ever have a bowl of leaves that need jazzing up. If you have a few of these guys up your sleeves, you'll never be too far away from a smashing salad.

These are just a few classics, but there are so many variations and combinations out there, it's worth having an explore and experimenting with flavours. My tip is to mix your dressings in an old jam jar, as you can stick the lid on and shake it to mix, and it is easy to store any remaining dressing in the fridge.



Classic balsamic

Simple, but sometimes that's all you need!

3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in your jam jar and shake well.

Lemon tahini

I wrote about this dressing previously in my kale and squash quinoa salad, but just in case you missed it, here it is again!

1 clove garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon
good glug of olive oil
tablespoon of tahini
black pepper

Mix oil, garlic and tahini then add enough lemon juice to thin it out and shake your jam jar up. You may need to add some water to get it a pouring consistency.

Honey Mustard

Another classic!

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
juice of half a lemon
3 tablespoons of olive oil

Combine all ingredients in your jam jar and shake well.

Asian style

This dressing is great on salads of crunchy veggies, or with noodles.

2 tablespoons rapeseed/olive oil
juice of half a lime
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 clove of garlic, grated/minced
pinch of chilli flakes
1 chopped spring onion (optional)
1 tablespoon of chopped coriander (optional)

Mix all ingredients except the spring onion and coriander together in a jam jar. Add onions and coriander and stir.

Yoghurt dressing

This dressing has a kind of Middle-Eastern vibe; great with falafels, halloumi or couscous salads.

2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt
1 clove of garlic, grated/minced
juice of half a lemon
good glug of olive oil
handful of mint

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Add more olive oil to loosen the dressing as desired.

What's your favourite dressing?


1 comment:


  1. Hi,

    I'm Laurence and I'm from the new cooking website Gourmandize UK & Ireland (http://www.gourmandize.co.uk). We're looking to get in touch with the people behind our favorite food blogs on the internet and feature them on our website through email interviews.

    We'd love to interview you for our site, would you be interested? Let me know at laurence@gourmandize.co.uk!

    Thanks for your time,

    Laurence
    Gourmandize UK & Ireland

    ReplyDelete