Friday, 13 September 2013

Beetroot

No sooner do I write a post about summer, than the skies cloud over and a chill sets in. Hmmm, maybe it's time to admit that it ain't summer anymore...

 But I'm not ready to bring out the thick socks and jumpers just yet. So I just want to squeeze in one final summery recipe before it all becomes soups and stews.

Although saying that, the star player of this recipe is actually beetroot, one of my top ten autumn veggies, so there's plenty of time to make more of this-go for it!

I made this as part of a dinner I held for a friend who was going away to work in the Philippines for a while. I love cooking for friends and getting the whole gang together to eat wonderful food (and drink wonderful wine) is something we do quite a lot as a group. There's something about filling up a table with dishes of deliciousness and letting everyone dig in that is hugely satisfying and makes me very happy. Of course, my friends are very appreciative to have a friend who doesn't mind cooking for them! And the favour is always returned!

I made the beetroot hummus as I knew that people would be arriving in dribs and drabs, and wanted something for people to nibble on while they were waiting for the main event. Served with some tasty crispbreads (shop bought I'm afraid) and a cold beer in the garden, it went down a treat!

It's such a fantastic colour that you may not want to eat it! (But not for long!)

There are tons of variations on the classic hummus (sweet potato, carrot, broad bean) but the base of chickpeas, tahini and olive oil pretty much always remain the same. As long as you have those guys and a blender, the hummus world is your oyster! I will definitely be trying a few different combinations, what's your favourite hummus combo?


beetroot hummus
serves 4 (as an appetiser)

1 large beetroot
1 tin of chickpeas
1 tablespoon of tahini
1 garlic glove, crushed
glug of olive oil
juice of half a lemon
pinch of cumin
pinch of cracked black pepper

To cook the beetroot, boil it whole for about 15 minutes, until you can easily pierce it with a knife. Once cooled, carefully remove the skin and chop into smallish chunks.

Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blitz until a smooth consistency. You may want to add more cumin or lemon juice to taste, and loosen with a dash more olive oil if necessary.





No comments:

Post a Comment