Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Breakfast


I'm really not a morning person. Every morning, as my alarm goes off, I mutter some kind of expletive and hit snooze..."just another 10 minutes!". Once I do finally drag myself out of bed, I'm pretty much incapable of any kind of conversation until I actually have to walk out of the door and head to work.

One thing I do love about mornings though, is breakfast. I always make sure I factor in time for it in my morning routine, and as I sit in our kitchen with lovely huge windows looking out over the garden, it's my moment of peace and quiet and reflection before the busy day begins.

I think it's so important to have moments like these in our crazy hectic lives. We get so caught up in to-ing and fro-ing and always having to do something or be constantly stimulated, it's nice to just stop, take some time out, and spend some time with yourself. Morning is the perfect time for this. If you start the day with a calm, clear mind you can aim to keep it with you for the rest of the day.

And of course eating a decent breakfast is important too. I've never understood those people who skip breakfast. How can you function?! If I don't eat breakfast it's like I might as well have not got out of bed at all.

I go through phases with breakfast of eating the same thing every morning for weeks on end. Mainly some kind of oat based something- so good for that slow release energy. I'm trying to avoid any processed food at the moment, which involves making everything from scratch. Shop bought cereals are some of the worst culprits for high amounts of sugar and salt, so I thought I'd have a go at making my own granola. And I'm converted! This is delicious and so easy to make, plus you can sub in whatever type of nuts, seeds or fruit you fancy. I will definitely be making again.




Coconut & fruit granola
Makes enough for 10 servings

300g rolled oats (not instant oats)
50g sunflower seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
50g flaked almonds
4 tbsp of coconut oil (can use olive oil if preferred)
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinammon
50g coconut flakes
50g raisins
50g dried cranberries


Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas mark 2.

In a large bowl mix the oats, seeds, almonds, oil, honey and cinammon. Tip the mix onto a large baking sheet   and spread evenly (the mix needs to be spread fairly thinly so you might need to use two baking sheets). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until starting to turn golden in colour. You might need to check on it occasionally and mix it to avoid it burning.

Mix in the coconut and fruits, and bake for a further 10-15 minutes. It will get crunchier as it cools!

Store in an airtight container for up to one month.

I like to have mine topped with plain or Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment