Thursday, 23 January 2014

Crunchy winter slaw with apple and golden beetroot



I can't believe we're half way through January already! So how are everyone's New Year's resolutions going? Still on track? No, me neither.

My New Year's resolutions were to do more exercise and the the stupidly vague "do more" - I want to get out and see more of London and go to more events etc. So far, I have yet to even put my trainers on, and I've been to the cinema a few times.

I do like to make New Year's resolutions as I like the idea of a fresh start and making myself do those things that I have been wanting/meaning to do for ages. I am, however, very good at coming up with excuses to not do things- it's been horrible weather, I've been working late, it's January so I have no money so I can't afford to go to a gym class (yet I can afford to go to the cinema? Great logic Meredith). And then I berate myself for not going. It's a vicious circle and I'm an idiot, I know. I just need to find a way to motivate myself to actually put those trainers on and go for a run, or to yoga.

Aside from someone physically dragging me there, do any of you have any ideas? What are your tricks for staying motivated?

Coleslaw is such a classic salad but is often done badly and covered in way too much sickly dressing. My mum makes a mean coleslaw (as well as cakes-check out her blog, Edwardian Grandma Bakes) with just the right amount of a delicious tangy yoghurt dressing. But obviously it's not vegan friendly so I thought I'd give a go at making a dairy free version.

I still had golden beetroot left over from my last recipe, plus some other great winter veg so it seemed the obvious choice. We had it with some homemade chickpea burgers and oven baked chips and it was a lovely, easy and light dinner.




Crunchy winter slaw with apple and golden beetroot
(Makes enough for 4-6 side servings)

1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 golden beetroot, peeled and julienned
2 small carrots (or 1 large), peeled and julienned
1 small eating apple (I used a cox apple, but anything sharp and tangy would work), thinly sliced
2 large handfuls of raisins/sultanas
2 large handfuls of walnuts, roughly chopped

for the dressing:
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp agave nectar/honey
2 tbs olive oil

Combine all the dressing ingredients together and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Toss all of the salad ingredients together in a large serving bowl, add the dressing, and mix with your hands to combine.

*Recipe note: You might want to invest in a julienne peeler for this kind of salad; cutting all that veg into teeny tiny little matchsticks was quite tedious! It's certainly on my wish list!



No comments:

Post a Comment